Monday, April 11, 2011

Listen to the Melody.. coz my love is in there HIDING..

For the last 2 months, I have been checking out this brother-sister group "The Carpenters", the legandary artist in the 70's. You may be interested to read more (take it as I am so lazy to write it all here) at this website http://www.classicbands.com/carpenters.html and check out this video documentary from BBC "Living Famously-Karen Carpenter" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq7MqlITUB0&feature=related there is also a movie about Karen Carpenter's famous but 'short' life.

From what I have gathered from Youtube, analysing the lyrics and listening to her songs with heart. I can sense and I think it is correct to say that she wanted her parent's attention so so much. It may be just her playing with her own emotions and feeling left out in the family and the songs.. the way she sings it.. It was like soooo kesian.. I remember a friend once told me, NEVER treat your children differently, if you so happen have 3, the 2nd child will usually be left out because, you would want to give more attention to the eldest and the youngest and forget all about the middle. I always keep that in mind and as much as possible I always want my girls to feel and know that they are treated equally.. sometimes, I may not have the capability, sometimes I do take things for granted (like for example, I used to bathe Yasmeen and prepare her to school since kindy to primary 2 but Sarah, I already expect her to bathe her own @ the age of 5) I sometimes feel bad and I will whenever I can bathe her in the morning. Its not so big deal actually la... just bathing right?! hehehe

I also notice myself giving less attention to Sarah at the moment, considering the fact that she is really doing very well, alhamdulillah. She can write her own name.. she can write MARINA's name (she don't remember how to write my name okay...) and she is far far more independent than Yasmeen. She loves to help without me asking, if she sees us cleaning the house she will do something to help. She is a good helper. Yasmeen, well, you will need to ask but she will not hesitate to help. Usually she won't delay helping.. she will only delay doing homework! hahahah

OK.. back to the Carpenters... Karen feels that she is not good enough for her mum and dad.. especially the mum.. She always wanted to be like her brother because she knows her mother loves him more than her. She would give up anything just to get her mother's attention, the last thing a person like this could handle is criticism especially on her appearance. When the media wrote about her looking chubby, to her its a BIG issue and she started to refuse to eat. Its an eating disorder but it derives from psychology problems she's facing in comforting herself, convincing herself that her parents love her, and for that she wants to look the best.

If you listen to her songs like 'Close to you' its like a song sang for Richard, her brother. But it is also how she feels about her brother. She is very close to her and to her the only way to get the love she wanted from her parents is to be Richard.

I personally thinks this song is how she really feel.. and its like I'm telling you mom.. I'm telling you but I wonder why her mum never notice this..

Lyrics of A song for you:-

I've been so many places in my life in time.. I've sung a lot of song I've made some bad rhymes, I've acted out my love in stages, with 10 thousand people watching, But we're alone now and I singing a song for you.

I know your image of me is what i hope to be I've treated you unkindly but can't U see. Theres no one more important to me Darling can't U please see through me, we're alone now and I singing a song for you.

You thought me precious secret of a truth withholding nothing, you came out in front and I was hiding. But now I'm so much better and If my words don't come together, listen to the melody coz my love is in there hiding.. I love U in a place where there's no space the time.. I love U for my life you are the friend of mine, And when my life is over, remember when we were together.. We were alone and I was singing a song for you..

Listen to the song.. here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UziGwZBvth0&feature=related

There are so many other really2 good songs, The Masquerade, Superstar, Rainydays and Mondays, Yesterday once more.. all and all are like Karen Carpenter singing her life story to people out there. Well, I know there is other things that is worth sharing with you all more than this but this is real life story and lesson to us the parents to love our children all the same and appreciate them individually for who they are.. Remember.. all different angels, different shape, different colours all those different characteristic forms a wonderful canvas called FAMILY.. Appreciate it!

2 comments:

Hema T said...

lovely and insightful, thanks!

Liza Masrina Ibrahim said...

Thank you Hema! :)