Saturday, May 14, 2011

Songket Restaurant - The Real Malay Flavour in Asian Wonders!


I first heard of 'Songket Restaurant' from my brother Khairil who suggested that we all go and have a great meal together. That was about a month ago. Last 3 weeks, I met my good friend Shantee, who coincidently mentioned about her gathering with old friends she had known 10 years ago (wink-wink *_* yeah right!).

Shantee strongly recommended this restaurant to me. I was so excited to try out their food, long story cut short, we were eventually invited to Songket Restaurant to have a taste of what Shantee mentioned to me as a TRUE Malay food.


The Owner Mr. Tony Wong

A little background of Songket Restaurant, Mr. Tony Tan, together with his Master Chef En. Mawi (whom we haven't have the chance to meet) are partners of this lovely decorated, nicely tuned with Malay classic and pop yea2's restaurant opened in March 2011. Yes, very new restaurant. All dishes are strictly MSG-free (bukan free2 taruk msg okay.. NO MSG at all!) and believe me.. they don't because the food tasted really natural and you don't feel thirsty.. I had to force myself to finish my iced lemon tea instead of ordering another glass like I usually do if I dine out.


Main Entrance
Right in front of the main entrance.. Reception?


This restaurant is located behind Tony Roma's in Jalan Yap Kwan Seng. I had never dine in any of the restaurant along Jalan Yap Kwan Seng as I always have a perception that this stretch of restaurants there must be very expensive considering the fact that they are located at an area full of fine dining restaurants.

We reached there at about 12.45 pm on that day. Thanks to Maya who drove like an F1 driver. I kinda control myself from freaking out each time she 'break' :D. We were greeted by Mr.Tony Wong. Very friendly, very cin-cai punya taukeh! 

Here are some pictures of the place.. cozy.. I especially adore the songket teddies displayed in the glass cupboard. If you are coming for dinner, you will be entertained by  traditional Malay dance performance. Ok la.. I know you would be more interested to know about the food.. To tell you the truth, there are wide variety of dishes.. you will be spoilt for choices. But what we had on that day was a very fulfilling meal and a very nice one. 
This is where they have traditional Malay dance performance at night.

one corner of the restaurant

Display area.. cute teddies..



From the end of the restaurant where we sat.

First dish arrived and this is something Mr. Tony Wong has insisted us on trying. It was Mee Kari. I always received compliments from people for my Mee Kari but this one.. is a Simple Mee Kari but the special part is that it is not too spicy yet full of flavours. You can really taste the fresh spices and the gravy is thick but not too milky (coconutty sounds pelik isn't it?) There is a choice of Mee and Mee Hoon, we had Mee and its nice. If you fancy noodles, this is a MUST Try!

Mee Kari


We also had :-
Set A- nasi ulam with ayam percik, acar, sayur lodeh, keropok.




Set B- nasi minyak, rendang daging, acar, sayur lodeh, keropok.





The ayam percik - the chicken is tender and it has the flavour of 'percik' gravy through the meat. This is unlike normal ayam percik that only has the gravy coating on the chicken meat. This one its like the chicken has been soaked in the gravy..

Nasi ulam/kerabu. The rice blends very well with the finely chopped herbs and vege making it taste very natural  with no apparent taste of raw vege in it.

The Nasi Minyak. Is very much different from what we usually have. It doesn't taste too oily like the normal nasi minyak cooked with ghee. If you ask me what is the different.. honestly, I don't know.. you really have to try it yourself.

The Rendang Daging. This particular dish, all of us.. Shantee, Maya and Myself really enjoyed it. Its a bit spicier compared to the ayam percik but for those 'rendang lover' out there.. this is to fall for ('to die for' macam too hardcore hehe!) I did mentioned to Mr. Tony that  it will taste even better with lemang or ketupat daun palas.. One might say it will be a hit during Puasa or Hari Raya season but it will be a GREATER hit if you have this out of puasa or hari raya season.. coz its hard to get this out of its season rite??




This is my first time eating Rusuk Panggang. The meat is certainly very very tender it just practically falls off from the bone.The best part is the flavour of the dark-soya like- sauce on the meat that has a unique flavour. Not too sweet as I thought it will be and no apparent saltiness too. It taste just right. Nothing was overdone, no flavour is overpowered. Just like how the Malay describe it as "Sedang Elok, Sedang Cantik". If I am eating with my family of 5,I would have licked clean the bone as well.. hehehe! (not gelojoh okay.. enjoying every bit of it that is...)



This dish is very new to me. Shantee mentioned to me earlier that this is one of her favourite the Pucuk Paku Goreng Taik Minyak. One might say well, its just pucuk paku (fern shoot/sprout) stir fried in taik minyak (coconut milk simmered till it turns oily and turned into 2 parts, the oil part and the lumpy dark brown  substance a.k.a taik minyak). Its unique taste of taik minyak gives the whole dish a distinctive sweet / milky (lemak) taste. If you are wondering as much as I was before trying this dish, you surely would want to try just to find it out yourself!

After trying all of the above, Mr. Tony Wong suggested that we try another of their unique stir fried vege. Pucuk Keledek goreng ikan masin (sweet potato shoots/sprout stir fried with salted fish). It may taste like a normal stir fried vege but its not overly done. Not too salty, no apparent spicy taste. This is what chinese say 'Cheng Chau'. Naturally stir fried.

Yeahhhh.. of all things of course we're waiting for the dessert.. We were introduced to Tapai Pulut (fermented glutinous rice), Durian Tiramisu and Pandan Pudding. 


Tapai Pulut served with ice-cream. I don't take tapai pulut (nope, certainly not because of its fermented, I just don't enjoy the taste.) Maya, the tapai pulut lover said there is something really special but she couldn't tell what it is.. She keeps on frowning while finishing almost 1/2 of these all by herself.. hehehehe.. I jokingly said.. if you can't walk straight after taking this then we know what it is.. hahahaha!



Durian Tiramisu. OOi! this is WONDERFUL! I can really taste the fresh durian flavour in this. I could not believe it would taste so good and I am sure my lil girl Sarah will love it.. She is a durian fan! This is 5star recommendation and a MUST MUST Try!



Pandan Pudding. This is another new thing for me.. I am a picky eater of sort. There are food that I know I will not like/take especially those made from tapai, evaporated milk with very2 milky taste and soft things like pudding. But occassionally, I will give it a try. This pandan pudding dessert though looks very ordinary taste even better. The milky taste complemented very well with the just nice sweetness of the gula melaka. Heavennnn....


from left Maya, Me, Mr. Tony Wong, Shantee and Kelly

Here is the BEST-est part. If you are wondering (as much as I do) and really would want find out what is so special with Songket Restaurant and their dishes, make your reservations and if you would kindly mention that you are a reader of lizamasrina.blogspot.com or blogmaya.com if you are also reading hers, you will be treated with a 'complementary' dessert specially from Songket Restaurant. Remember to mention either one of our blog to get the complementary dessert ya.. ;)


Please call to reserve your table to avoid disappointment. They could cater for large crowd in case you are looking for a place for a farewell dinner/lunch.



For further information and price list, do visit http://www.songketrestaurant.com/ and for another review from my blogger friend Maya visit http://blogmaya.com/

As I am writing from Penang (holiday ma...) pictures are courtesy from Maya of http://blogmaya.com/.. Thanks for sharing the pcitures Maya!

Thanks also to Mr. Tony Wong for his hospitality. We certainly enjoyed the food.

Thanks to Shantee for introducing us to Mr. Tony Wong and Songket Restaurant.

4 comments:

Gillian said...

Thank Leez...i love malay food! Definitely gonna try this place when i come home...I live all the restaurants on that road! Class!!!

Mya said...

rusuk panggang & tapai pulut best!

Liza Masrina Ibrahim said...

Gillian - the next time you come home, lunch will be with me okay.. so make sure you call me.

Maya - aku tak makan tapai lah! hehehe

mrafizi said...

awsome.......love to try