Friday, November 20, 2009

It isn't easy and it doesn't happen to everyone..

Yesterday, the announcement of the UPSR result was made for all Primary schools in Malaysia. It reminds me when I took my result in SK Sacred Heart Cannossian Convent. How do I eventually end up being there? Well its a looooong story altogether.. anyway, I still remembered the silence and the look on my father’s face... couldn’t believe I got 3A’s and a D! 1 D has actually overshadowed the other 3 A’s in front. I felt upset, sad, frustrated, scared all at the same time. There’s hardly any smile on my face at that moment.

 

Looking back, I felt a bit proud of myself actually. I was a drop-out when I was in standard 3. I did not went to any school for the whole of standard 4 and 5 but only managed to go back to school when I was in standard 6 in Melaka while travelling every morning from Durian Daun to Bandar Hilir by bus as early as 6 am. Left out almost 2/6 of the whole of primary years, 3As and 1D is really quite an achievement! Its not easy though, I did not do my revisions, I did not go for any tuitions, I did not go for any extra classes in school.. normal school hours, ditto.

 

I remembered SHCC’s then headmistress, Ms. Helen Pereira. She is a very good person, Very attentive, caring, full of support and everyone respect her very much! (she deserves it!). She was the one who saw me wondering in the school compound and asked me who I am with. She went on to meet my father when we were sleeping behind the sound and light show sitting in Bandar Hilir and asked my father to transfer me to SHCC so that I may sit for my UPSR exam that year. She has so much confidence in me. Always encourage to me participate in the school activity. I remembered a clown dance (we wore gloves, paint our faces and dance with a rock n roll song). She always put my name in the list of recipient of ‘bantuan’ for Hari Raya, she would come over to my class just to check on me and even teaches English subject for my class! Once, she took me and Izuan to the school canteed and ordered the canteed owner to give us meal everyday, whatever we want, whenever we want and bill it to her! Too bad, after I got my UPSR exam and came back for my ‘sijil tamat persekolahan’, I never met her again. Here, today,  I would like to record my sincere appreciation and gratitude to a very kind person who has helped me so much in a year! I wish I would be able to see her again.

 

I heard Ms. Helen Pereira got married to a ‘Mat Saleh’. Not so sure about that, but a person as kind as her will be blessed with a very happy family. I hope she is living happily wherever she is now.. which reminds me, maybe I can search for her in FB!

 

Liza Masrina Ibrahim

 

 

 

 

No comments: